Monday, August 29, 2011


This morning I was invited to go with campground friends, Agnes & Don to see the Stations of the Cross at San Luis:   
A short forty-five minute drive southeast of Alamosa will lead you to the town of San Luis, where The Stations of the Cross are beautifully depicted in a series of life sized bronze sculptures placed along a comfortable three-quarter mile trail that climbs a short distance up a small mesa.(Ha! at 9000 ft. altitude it seems like a pretty long distance!)
We succeeded in hiking to the top where there is a small chapel. The bronze sculptures, the chapel, and the scene from the top, looking down on San Luis Valley were all very beautiful! Here is a picture of one of the sculptures.  On the way back, we stopped in Ft. Garland and ate (again) at the All Gon Cafe, and it was (again) very good! Spent a quiet afternoon - small shower, Happy Hour (actually Happy 30 minutes, because of another shower), and prepared to spend a quiet evening reading my book.  

About 6:30, I was sitting outside right beside the camper reading and Katy was tied close by.  I heard a small rustling sound and glanced up, thinking someone was walking thru the area between my camper and the next and whadaya think it was? Two small bears - not more than about 10 feet away! They were just strolling by, heading towards Katy, and she was so excited to have someone to play with, she was running towards them! I don't think they were anything but curious, but it scared the c___ out of me and I jumped up and probably yelled. That scared the bears and they started to run, but one decided to take refuge in the tree a few feet away. The other one then came back to get his/her brother/sister and evidently "talked him down", because after a few minutes the tree climber came down and they both left - at least they left my front yard! I happened to have my phone/camera in my pocket, so got some good pictures! 


                     
                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment