Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Today I attended the second day of the Spinning & Weaving Workshop at the library in Walsenburg. Didn't do any spinning - could have - there was a full size spinning wheel available - but I did do some weaving on an "Inkle Loom". Anybody know what that is? I bet you don't! Here's a picture - Complicated looking, isn't it!  Weaving on it isn't so hard, but I haven't tried putting the thread on it yet! I actually bought one, along with an instruction book. Like I needed another hobby! I'm also working on a Swedish Embroidery project. A couple of the gals here at the RV park got me started doing that, and are helping me.

One lady I sat beside at the Spinning & Weaving Workshop was telling all about her hobby - She belongs to the "Society for Creative Anachronism ", and was working on some trim for her costume! What's that, you say? Well I came home and Googled it, and here's what it said:
The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Participants, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops, dancing, feasts, and more. Our "royalty" hold courts at which they recognize and honor members for their contributions to the group.

Think I'll pass on that one! 

After my nap, I took my chair and joined the group over by the creek, under the trees. Nice day!





No comments:

Post a Comment