Sunday, July 31, 2011

Katie's Adventure on Hwy 12

The day started off slowly - slept late (7:30!) :) messed around till about 1:00 and decided to run into Walsenburg (15 miles) and pick up a few things at the Dollar General Store. It was raining when I left, and on the way back, the cloud formations over the mountains were so spectacular that even though it was still spitting rain, I stopped at a "pullover" a couple of miles outside of town to take some pictures. I jumped out and was snapping away, when it started raining harder, so I quickly got back in the car and drove "home".  I parked and turned around to get Katy out of the back seat and she wasn't there! - or anyplace else in the car! I quickly drove back out to where I had stopped, half expecting to find her dead or badly hurt on the road, but she was nowhere to be seen. The speed limit out there is 65, and most cars are going at least that fast - lots of curves too, so would be hard to see a little dog until it was too late. After driving up and down that stretch of highway several times I gave up and came home, convinced I had seen the last of my little dog, and very upset! About 15 minutes later, I got a phone call! Two young ladies - sisters, maybe 15 and 17 - had found her and picked her up - and - long story short - it wasn't long before I had my puppy dog back!  Sometime later, I glanced out the door of my camper to see a deer stroll past - maybe 3 - 4 ft from the door! I grabbed my phone/camera and went out to see not one, but two deer strolling around the RV park eating grass.
I've never seen a town with so much wildlife in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment